Monday, February 14, 2011

Movie Monday: Valentine's Edition

This week, I wanted to celebrate Valentine's Day in my own way by watching movies that fit the theme of the holiday. However, I have struggled in deciding on which team I am playing for this year. Am I for the holiday in all its romance and lovey dovey-ness or, am I against it? Well, I couldn't decide. Therefore, I watched a mix of love movies and horror movies. So, Happy Valentine's Day to all and enjoy the reviews!



Queen of the Damned



Vampire Lestat (Stuart Townsend) emerges from 100 years underground to the present day, where culture has changed immensely and he wants to engage in all of it. He ends up as the lead singer of a band and is using his lifestyle (as a vampire) to appeal to the masses. However, in his journey he awakens the vampire Queen, Akasha (Aaliyah), who does not want to live in the shadows amongst humans any longer. With the help of another vampire, Marius (Vincent Perez), and a human with ties to the vampire world, Jesse (Marguerite Moreau), they try to stop Akasha from causing massive damage to humans and vampires.

When I posted that I had never watched this on Facebook, I got a lot of replies. Based on their responses, I figured out that this was going to be one of those movies that I would really like or really hate. The first thing I noticed about the movie was the music. It was full of heavy rock music that I loved when I was a senior in high school (which was when the movie was in theaters). Then I realized that the movie was a combination of two (or more) books from The Vampire Chronicles series. Having read The Vampire Lestat but not Queen of the Damned, I got a mixture of familiarity and new material when watching the film.

Now, about the movie itself. I caught on that this was a completely different vibe than Interview with the Vampire. Interview... had a more old world/ romantic style. Queen.. had an edgy/ rock star/ sexed up vibe. The only familiarity with both movies is the character Lestat. As far as executing the plot, I thought using The Vampire Lestat as the exposition was done very well. I had no problems following the movie, but I feel I need to read the book to see how it was meant to be seen. To my die-hard Anne Rice fans, I understand why you hate it but I'm not in agreement with your thoughts on the film. I actually liked it, but it wasn't better than Interview with the Vampire (the movie). Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars


An Affair to Remember



A couple of strangers, Nickie Ferrante (Cary Grant) and Terry McKay (Deborah Kerr) meet while on a cruise from Europe to New York. Despite the fact that they were both engaged to other people, they fall in love and plan to reunite six months later atop the Empire State building. Unforeseen events prevent one of them from making it that day, causing heartache for both, among serious lifestyle changes. Will they ever see each other again, and will they ever be able to reconcile???

There is a reason why recent romantic comedies/ chick flicks cannot stand up to the films from past generations. This movie is an excellent example of my theory. The interaction between Nickie and Terry was genuine. I was as amused as the rest of the people aboard the cruise, watching their attraction blossom to love. You could see the pain in their eyes when they had to go their separate ways. Then, when it came time for them to finally reunite, my heart was crushed when Terry was hit by the car. To see Nickie remain atop the Empire State building for hours waiting for her... that hurt so much more. But, in the end, I was glad to see them reconcile, despite the fact that Terry was afraid to show Nickie what happened to her. Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

The Phantom of the Opera



In the midst of an auction at the French Opera House, the affair of the Phantom of the Opera is recollected. In 1870, rehearsal is halted because the Phantom (Gerard Butler) has driven Carlotta (Minnie Driver) away, giving Christine (Emmy Rossum) the opportunity to take the lead. After her first night, she finally meets the Phantom, who has been teaching her. He takes her to his home, which is hidden underneath the opera house, and professes his love to her. However, she falls for her childhood sweetheart, Raoul (Patrick Wilson), which causes the Phantom to have a frightening amount of rage. Christine finds herself having to choose between being with the man she loves and the man that taught her about everything she loves in life.

As someone who got very involved in theater in high school, you would think I've seen this play/movie by now, especially when my theater teacher raved about it. Nope. You would also think after buying this movie two years ago I would have already watched it. Again, nope. Let's just say that I really really REALLY wish I had seen this sooner. This movie was one that I became completely engulfed in it, so much that I watched it twice (then a third time while writing this review).

The music, the story, the costumes, everything was absolutely amazing! The scene where the Phantom takes Christine to his home just melted my heart. Between the candelabras emerged out of the water, the gondola, and the music leading up to "The Music of the Night," I was a very happy hopeless romantic! As for Gerard Butlers musical talents... I had no idea he could sing.... and I think that I might have to add him to my List. I could rave on and on about this movie/play for several more paragraphs, but I'm going to prevent my readers from zoning out and give my rating. 5 out of 5 stars (and has been added to my Top 10 favorite movies)

Once again, Happy Valentine's Day everyone... single or taken!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Valentine's Day version of Movie Monday! I agree with you on everything except Queen of the Damned. For me that movie falls into the sequels that shouldn't have been made category. Happy Valentine's Day oh Queen of the Movie Geeks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. MISS CASEY!!! Where was the spoiler alert warning on your Affair to Remember review!?

    ReplyDelete