Monday, January 17, 2011

Movie Monday: A Kevin Smith Film (That He Didn't Write!)

Hello Monday!!! I have a great movie blog this week. It could be the movie I watched or that I'm starting to get my feel for these weekly posts, but either way, I feel very good about my review! Please enjoy!

Cop Out





Two NYPD cops are placed on suspension after an operation goes awry. While on suspension, Jimmy (Bruce Willis) finds out his daughter's dream wedding will cost a small fortune. In an attempt to take care of her wishes, he goes to a memorabilia shop to sell his most prized possession, a baseball card. While there, he is tazered by thieves and loses his card. Now he and his partner Paul (Tracy Morgan) go on a quest to retrieve the card and catch the thieves.

Last year, I went to see Kevin Smith in one of his infamous Q&A shows. Cop Out had been in theaters for several weeks by that time, and there were a lot of really great (and hilarious) stories about making the film. Naturally, as a Kevin Smith fan, I was excited to see this movie, despite the mixed reviews given by critics. As a movie geek and music lover, the first several minutes of the film made me excited for what I saw as a movie that was going to really enjoy. First, the opening credits were accompanied with the Beastie Boys "No Sleep Til Brooklyn." Then an interrogation room scene where Paul proves that he can stay in character by questioning the suspect using a plethora of movie quotes (which included lines from Scarface, Schindler's List, Star Wars and Beetlejuice). Throughout the movie, Paul continually tries to prove to Jimmy that he can stay in character (and I thoroughly enjoyed it).

Once the thief Dave (Sean William Scott) came into the scenario, the comedic banters quadrupled. I was laughing a lot in all of Dave's scenes, especially when he made a comment about going ATM (ass to mouth... paying homage to Clerks II). I definitely got a very good fill of laughs while watching this. I loved noticing certain supporting cast members of the movie: Jason Lee as Ray (Jimmy's ex-wife's new hubby), Michelle Trachtenberg as Ava (Jimmy's daughter), and Rashida Jones as Debbie (Paul's wife). They were all pleasant surprises to me and I enjoyed their small roles to the film. The soundtrack was also very, very good. I got my fill of Poison ("Every Rose Has It's Thorns"), Leadbelly ("Black Betty"), and Run DMC ("King of Rock"). For Kevin Smith's directorial debut, he did a pretty awesome job expanding his movie making skills! Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this film. I was rolling laughing the first time I saw it. I had to pause the film at one point because I was laughing to hard to process any new input. It is the best film Kevin Smith has ever made in my opinion. I have nothing bad to say about it, which is saying a lot for me. I can usually find something to bad mouth about any film but there is just nothing there for this film. I was never big on Kevin Smith before. However between this movie and seeing how Kevin Smith interacts with his fans and the community on Twitter I was converted into a Kevin Smith fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever seen this and didn't know it had anything to do with Kevin Smith who you know I have much love for. I will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete