Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday Rant and Rave: Winter Wonderland

If I could sum up this week so far, it would be that I love and hate winter right now.

I knew it was coming for several days. Bryan Busby informed me so. Kansas City was about to get hit with the first real snowfall of the season. I had mixed feelings about this information. Last year, my fellow area residents and I suffered through the ENTIRE winter with snow. We all were tired of driving in it, shoveling it, and, for some, were developing bad cases of cabin fever. I had great animosity for the weather that NEVER seemed to want to go away. It was wonderful to see the snow finally melt around St. Patrick's Day.

We escaped having a white Christmas in Kansas City. Well, we had a flurry two days before, but it melted very quickly. I personally believed that we would have a minimal snow season. I might still be right, but I will have to wait until the end of the season before I can start gloating, lol.

It started to snow very late Sunday night/ early Monday morning. I remember the last report I listened to predicted 4 to 6 inches. I went to bed noticing about an inch on the ground. I woke up seeing six inches, and it was still snowing. I thought I was going to to hate it, just like I did last winter, but I surprised myself and was excited to go outside and play in the snow with my son.

After lunch on Monday, we did just that.


We made snow angels, threw snowballs, and attempted to build a snowman (which is when you have the idea but never actually get around to it besides a mountain of snow). I felt like a kid again. I also decided to shovel the driveway. It took me a couple hours, but I got most of it done by myself. The rest was done by my next door neighbor, who used his snow blower.


(You can tell where I shoveled and where my neighbor used his nifty machine.)

So Monday was a blast and ended with some delicious hot chocolate.

Enter Tuesday.

My kiddo had no school again. It was a LOT colder. I walked my kid over to the neighbor's house and experienced a wind so fierce it burned against my cheeks. Ugh, the harshness of winter. Then I had to go to work. My Mom takes my Jeep on days like this since it has 4 wheel drive (that and she doesn't want to risk wrecking her car, a Thunderbird). So I had the pleasure of driving my Dad's Chevy truck, with rear wheel drive.

I get stuck in the neighborhood. After a few reverse/drive reverse/drive maneuvers, I get out and move on. I fishtail a couple times, but very minimal. I must state that winter used to be my favorite season. That is, until I got my drivers license. Attempting to drive in this weather is not exactly comforting to me. I feel like I am on edge out of fear that I am going to skid on ice or spin out. I keep those feelings inside though... anyone that drives with me wouldn't notice that about me (an inside glimpse of me, oh my!). I make it to work fine, and drive home with less problems than I did going to work.

Today.... third day in a row that school is cancelled. At this rate, my kid won't be at school at all this week (his school had an in service day scheduled this Friday, so no school for the kiddos anyway). So now I get to entertain my son once again. However, with the really cold temperatures and wind chill, I can't let him play in the snow. He seems to be fine with that for now, since he is happily playing with toys in his room.

I just hope cabin fever doesn't set in this week... crankiness isn't an enjoyable thing to deal with.

2 comments:

  1. Monday is MLK day so no school then either. So he may not get back to school till Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you know my thoughts on this bloody season. LOL. Glad you and the boy had fun though! I wasn't even gonna try to leave the warm house. You know how I hibernate.

    ReplyDelete