Tuesday, May 10, 2011

New Music Tuesday: A Trio from Tulsa, A Motorcycle Gang Led by Jesus, Bad Timing for Movie References, and Nicki Minaj

It's Tuesday, and if you are in my neck of the woods, you're probably taking caution due to the heat advisory. So what better to do on a unusually hot day in May than to check out some new music? I found some very entertaining videos over the week, so please enjoy (and, to warn you, one of these songs/videos is so ridiculous that you'll be saying WTF in between fits of laughter)!!!

Hanson "Give a Little"



Oh, how the boys from Tulsa have grown into men! I love how they have transitioned from bubble gum pop to a more indie-rock sound. The song is simple, catchy, and a lot of fun! I like how the music video uses color... from the solid background to articles of clothing. It made every color pop! I hope that at least one of the radio stations here in Kansas City will start playing this song.

Lady Gaga "Judas"



Well, Miss Germanotta has shocked us all again, but by making a normal music video. I love that she want for a simple concept and let the song tell most of the story. I loved how she imagined Jesus and his apostles as a motorcycle gang. I also loved how she used Judas as a metaphor for a former flame that betrayed her but she cannot help but still love him... I completely understand where she is coming from (and I know many others do, too).

Oh, and to have Norman Reedus as Judas... awesome :-)

The Lonely Island feat. Michael Bolton "Jack Sparrow"



When I found out that The Lonely Island collaborated with Michael Bolton for a song, I was confused. Then I found the music video. It's feels like two completely different songs were mixed together, but somehow it seems to fit in all its ridiculousness. It did make me laugh... a lot. I may be a movie geek, but you won't see me trying to throw in a bunch of movie references, hoping one would fit into a song about hooking up with girls in a club. This song may have sold me on investing in the album... LOL

Does anyone else find it weird hearing Michael Bolton using "pussy" and "fuck?" I know it threw me off...

Nicki Minaj "Super Bass"



Nicki Minaj is a guilty pleasure for me. She's hardcore in the rap scene, but she executes in in a very girly way. I love how she uses color in all her videos, especially this one... lots of pink, lime green, and blue (and the Day Glow underwear scene). The song is a good mix of her rapping skills plus her vocal talents, with an upbeat mix to it (compared to "Moment 4 Life"). I really enjoy this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment