Thursday, August 5, 2010

Changes.... Big Changes

I am prepared for what's coming, but I am also not prepared. A new chapter in my life, but moreso Truman's life. In 11 days, Truman will be experiencing his first day of kindergarten.

It's a little surreal to me that I have a child old enough to be starting school. The past 5 years and 9 months have flown by. I have enjoyed watching him experience new things with amazement, from his first steps to his first word (car). Now he's going to be learning a whole world of new things.

I think it first hit me back in April, when pre-registration started. Walking into his elementary school for the first time reminded me of my days at Meadowmere Elementary (the school song and pledge still embedded in my mind to this day). I saw the excitement in Truman's eyes when he was looking at all the kid's projects in the halls, meeting his Principal, and seeing a few random classrooms with desks and chairs just his size.

Since then, I've been working with Truman to get prepared for kindergarten. The school gave out a list of things that he should know prior to his first day. When I was reading the list, I discovered he knew everything on it, except for his address and telephone number. Ok, easy stuff. He's got his address down now, but not his number, lol.

I've also been working on his bedtime. I'll admit that I've been lazy about a set bedtime since he was a baby. He's become accustomed to being a night owl like his mommy. Since his week at Vacation Bible School, he's been getting up in the morning compared to almost noon. He's not quite to what will become his normal wakeup time, but a vast improvement.

This weekend, we will be going to get his school supplies. Yes, this is the state's tax-free weekend. Yes, I expect it to feel like shopping on Black Friday. Why am I doing it? To save money. I've already walked around a couple places with Truman, getting price estimates and asking him what kind of backpack he wants (Iron Man--- I'm trying to steer him away from that, like going for Toy Story or Spongebob-- more age appropriate for a kindergartner). I always loved getting new school supplies as a kid, so I would be pleased to see him get excited about it too.

Now I said that this would be a change for me too, and it is. I will see Truman a lot less everyday. I will also be saving money on daycare expenses, but that could even out because I'm replacing that with groceries to make his lunch and buying his lunch from time to time, plus other school related expenses. And, being a single mom, I'm going to be doing this alone since the ex has proved countless times his unwillingness to help. With that said, my parents have always been supportive and, if needed, I can fall back on them.

Since Truman will be in class, I will have a lot more "me" time. I will be more available for getting together with friends and loved ones, take myself to lunch or a movie, and get myself back into school. I haven't been back to college since the week before Truman was born and would really like to complete my degree. Once I get the financial part squared away, I'll be enrolling.

So, for now, Truman and I are enjoying these last days. Here's to the start of a new, exciting change....

No comments:

Post a Comment