Friday, September 24, 2010

Sesame Street Antics

In the past 24 hours, I have watched quite a bit of Sesame Street. No, it's not because I secretly miss my son at home and watching his shows fills the lonely void. I'm a sucker for pop culture references... always have been. That's probably why I love South Park and the Powerpuff Girls so much. Sesame Street does not disappoint with their plethora of pop culture-ness. Even when I was little, I got excited seeing movie stars and musicians with Big Bird and Cookie Monster.

I have noticed, compared to the days that I was little, that there has been an increase of using celebrities and public figures in segments and songs on Sesame Street. It kind of makes me sad that the more memorable songs have been accompanied with someone like the Goo Goo Dolls or Chris Brown. With the new season of Sesame Street starting up soon, the company has released some teasers as to who to expect to see with Elmo, Cookie Monster, and the rest of the gang. Plus, a certain celebrity that we thought we would see:



Some of you have noticed, either yesterday or this morning, the controversy of this Katy Perry clip. It will never be aired on Sesame Street. Why? Her supposed lack of clothing, revealing cleavage. I have read many comments on Yahoo and news websites about how this was completely inappropriate. I have also read from friends on Facebook and Twitter that a lot of people are making too big a deal about this.

To me, I don't see anything wrong with the clip. I wouldn't mind my kid watching this video. For one, he is/was a huge fan of Elmo. He also loves Katy Perry's music (maybe more than me, lol). This video would make his day.

There is another clip I came across yesterday that I don't see as much of a shock factor as Katy Perry's clip:



Wow... Sesame Street did a True Blood parody. Dont get me wrong, I love this. I thought they did a great job. But for people to attack Katy Perry's clip over cleavage and not make a big deal that they parodied a show that has a lot of violence baffles me. Where are the people who are angry that this clip made it on the show? Oh, right. This provided more entertainment value. Violence is more damaging to a kid than sex. I would much rather have my kid witness an act of love instead of an act of hate.

*Shrugs*

There's my rant for the day. Now I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the simpler days of Sesame Street.



1 comment:

  1. I'll admit that I've never watched True Blood (please don't hate me) so maybe I just don't have the proper context, but I enjoyed the Katy Perry one far more, with or without boobs.
    Oh, and I didn't realize that I knew Cookie Monster's song so well. Now I have to find teh "Twelve!" pinball video...

    ReplyDelete