Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Song #14- A Song That No One Would Expect You To Love

Marilyn Manson "The Beautiful People"



I remember first hearing this song when I was in junior high. I was afraid to admit that I liked it. Why? For one, this was around the time that I was into all the boy bands and female pop singers. Marilyn Manson was the complete opposite of that (which I had the same opinion about Nine Inch Nails). I hated the fact that his album was called "Antichrist Superstar." Back then, I never questioned my beliefs in religion and the album title was one of the most ludicrous things I knew. Wow... how naive and closed off I was back then.

My sophomore year of high school changed that. I had discovered Eminem, Limp Bizkit, and Korn. I was liking music that was darker and expressed deeper emotions. I had a love for things that were dark and twisted. I went back to listening to Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails and realized that it wasn't much different than my newest discoveries in music. I learned that the Manson (aka. Brian Warner) had been on his yearbook staff at school, just like me. He collects nostalgic lunch boxes... that's actually really cool. I saw him as a person, and that allowed me to look beyond my own beliefs. I became a fan. "The Beautiful People" is my favorite Marilyn Manson song. I admit that I have not listened to all of the tracks on Antichrist Superstar, but I need to. I would love to have a copy of this album someday.

Oh, and I loved his cameo in the movie Jawbreaker! I can't think of The Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane" without picturing him with that 70's style handlebar moustache.



Sorry, had a movie geek moment!!!

1 comment:

  1. Never seen Jawbreaker or even heard of it. But due to Rose McGowan's presence in this clip it has now been added to my Netflix queue. And yeah I can see a (at least at the time) Christian not wanting to admit they liked a Marilyn Manson song, lol

    ReplyDelete