Friday, June 17, 2011

17. A Song From a Musical with the Best Music

Rock of Ages "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "I Wanna Know What Love Is"



What I loved about Rock of Ages, aside from the 80's nostalgia, is that it's a musical that I knew all the songs beforehand. Where else can you see a stage show that has your favorite songs by Poison, Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, Foreigner, Europe, Journey, and others??? A few times in the show, they combine two songs together into one epic number... and it works!!! The songs work into the story so much better than they do in The Who's Tommy (which Tommy was meant to be a rock opera... so that's saying something). What was also cool about seeing this stage show was that it felt like a rock concert in the sense that every time a character would start to sing a song, some of the audience members would shout and cheer once the recognized the song.

There is one scene in particular, after intermission, where Justice (owner of a strip club) is consoling Sherrie over her personal life... and when I recognized the song as "Every Rose Has Its Thorns," I reacted with such an audible gasp that the people sitting in front of me turned around and said "Now that's a good reaction!" I can't help that I'm a MAJOR fan of Poison, hehe :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment