Friday, June 3, 2011

Dating... And All Its Awkwardness (My First Guest Blog)

A few weeks ago, my friend Aggy asked me to do a guest blog for her. After debating for a couple weeks, I was inspired to write about my dating experiences... at least the awkward ones. Here is the guest blog (minus Aggy's intro and her illustrations). Please enjoy this personal, yet extremely entertaining blog!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Casey and I have been a friend of Aggy's since junior high. We were involved in our high school newspaper together and have remained friends. I still live in Aggy's hometown and am appreciative of social networking sites that allow us to keep in touch and make witty and sarcastic comments on little things that happen in our day to day lives. Just like Aggy, I am a single mother.

I've been back in the dating world for about 3 years now (once my divorce was finalized) but haven't been actively dating until about last summer. I had forgotten how awkward dating can be. I've had some... interesting scenarios happen to me lately and I thought that I would give you guys a list of my recent awkward dating moments. And, believe me, they are awkward!

#5: Twitter-pated
I've had a Twitter account for about two years now. In the past several months, I have found a network of some really awesome Kansas City people. Well, there was one guy that found me through one of the KC peeps and we seemed to immediately catch onto each other's sense of humor. After several weeks, I finally gave him my number and we start texting. Then, on St. Patrick's Day, I invited him to hang out with me at my work.

Okay, has anyone experienced those times where you think you really like someone through the Internet, but when you meet in person, you don't feel that same vibe? Well, that's exactly what happened with me here. There was nothing wrong with this guy, and he's actually very sweet, has a great sense of humor, and excellent taste in music, but I just didn't feel anything for him beyond a friendship. When we decided to part ways that night, he walked me to my truck and kissed me. The kiss was good, but my heart wasn't in it. A couple days later, we had the uncomfortable conversation that led to him unfollowing me on Twitter.

#4: Reuniting
Oh, Facebook... how you allow me to reconnect with old friends and old... flames. Sometime around Thanksgiving last year, I saw that one of my girlfriends had become Facebook friends with the guy that took my virginity. I was curious to see what he was up to, so I sent him a friend request. Within a day or two, we are chatting online and he immediately asks if we were going to hook up. I hesitate because I wasn't sure if I wanted to go down that road again, but he did seem older and more mature.

A few weeks later, we made arrangements to see each other. I'll admit that I wanted to see what it was like to sleep with him after I've had other partners. I don't know if it was because, at that time, I hadn't been with a guy for two years or if he wanted it done his way, but it just wasn't that good for me. However, he and I developed a friendship out of reuniting and we talk about each other's lives, our kids, and I give him relationship advice from time to time.

#3: The Felony
One of my guy friends is someone I've known for years but never met until recently (internet chat buddies). After going to a show that he was involved in, he asked if I wanted to go to a party with him. I was already out, and wanted to hang out with him, so I said yes. We get into his car and drive several blocks to this building that looked like apartments. We don't see a main entrance, so we try a door. It was the right one, but we were told we couldn't come in the party.

My friend decided that he would still find a way for us to get in, so we go out and find another door around the corner. He tries to pull it open, but as he does, the wooden door breaks off the hinges. We stand still for a few seconds, trying to figure out what the hell just happened. Then logic kicked in and he told me we need to walk away... really, really fast. We get back in his car and drove away. We ended up back at the theater, and realized that we just accidentally committed a crime. A few hours later, we shared our first kiss. Somehow, I think the criminal activity helped with the nerves... LOL

#2: Club Erotica
One Friday night, I was done working and wanted to do something fun. I posted on Facebook and about 10 minutes later, I get a text from one of my new found guy friends. He was at a party and wanted me to drive over to join him. It happened to be this guy's birthday, so I texted a couple of our mutual friends to join in on the festivities. My friends and I got to the party and our friend was waiting for us outside. He grabbed the host of the house to give us a tour. After walking into the living room and through the kitchen, he gave us business cards that said KC Club Erotica.

Holy shit... I was in an exhibitionist house!

There were beds and ultra plush couches everywhere. The basement had a hot tub, pool table, a dance area (which included a stripper pole), and an outdoor pool for summertime. Oh, and yes, people were engaging in sexual acts. After the initial shock wore off, I surprised myself by feeling comfortable there. I mean, the place wasn't trashy at all (it was well invested) and I was with three friends. By the end of the night, my guy friend made his move and kissed me, which led to making out. It was actually pretty awesome.

Okay, are you guys ready for the most awkward experience I've had recently???



#1: The Creeper
Back in January, I decided to wear my very first corset to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Well, I happened to get a lot of attention from it... more than I had expected. A week later, I was invited to hang out with this guy who was at the show (a friend of a friend). About 1/2 hour after I got there, he randomly brought up that he and his roommate discussed if he was going to get laid that night. He said he told his roommate that he had no idea but he was just going to let things "go with the flow." Okay... for one, I had no intention of doing that, and to casually bring it up in conversation like he did? Wow. That's a new breed of special right there.

Then the February show rolls around. I got there early, when the rest of the cast did, and he was there. As I was enjoying conversation with the cast, he would randomly come behind me and scratch my back. He also did it once after the show. A few of the cast noticed my discomfort and kept an eye on things. I later found out, from our mutual friends, that he was bragging to everyone that the evening was a date between him and me. I officially found a creeper... and he finally got the picture that I was not interested.

So, there you have it... my awkward dating experiences from the past year and a half. I will say this, three of these scenarios would not have happened if I did not start getting involved in The Rocky Horror Picture Show here in Kansas City. If you liked what I read, then please check out my blog page http://www.kcmoviegeek.blogspot.com/   And, to Aggy, thank you for the opportunity to guest blog on your page!

No comments:

Post a Comment