Monday, June 27, 2011

Movie Monday: Made in the 80's

Five months ago, I promised to you guys that I was going to do an 80's themed movie blog. I've really been delving into nostalgia over the decade a lot lately, especially after geeking out over Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" music video, which is more a blend of 80's and 90's but still... enough to get me in the mood. All I have to say is that I missed out on some pretty awesome movies over the years. You'll see what I mean...


Rain Man



Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) is an underground business man from Los Angeles who travels back home to attend his father's funeral. As he gets his father's affairs set, he realizes that the $3 million inheritance is not going to him. His investigation over who will receive the money leads him to the Walbrook Institute, where he meets Raymond (Dustin Hoffman), his autistic older brother. In a desperate attempt to find a way to get the inheritance money himself, he takes his brother away from the institute and they journey back toward Los Angeles. Along the way, Charlie realizes that Raymond's autism is a blessing and a burden... which leads to many complications on the way home.

This is one of those movies that I have heard (or seen) referenced in so many other films, but had not given myself the chance to watch it. I'm glad I made this my first choice in movies for the week. I immediately dismissed Charlie as a heartless asshole and fell in love with Raymond. To see Charlie's world transform from wanting the inheritance money to needing Raymond in his life was remarkable. Both of them were able to learn from one another, which helped strengthen their bond. I recommend that this film be put on everyone's bucket list... it needs to be seen. Rating 5 out of 5 stars


Beverly Hills Cop



Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy), a Detroit cop, receives a visit from his buddy Mikey (James Russo) who has been working in Beverly Hills. Hours after he arrives, he is murdered. Axel decides to take some "vacation time" and travels to California to investigate his friend's death. The Beverly Hills police department are onto Axel, and Lieutenant Bogomil (Ronny Cox) assigns Detective Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and Detective Taggart (John Ashton) to follow him since he is not assigned to the case. As Axel digs into the investigation, Rosewood, Taggart, and his old friend Jenny (Lisa Eilbacher) realize he is on the right track and help him, putting their lives (and jobs) in jeopardy.

No wonder my parents love this movie (and the sequels). It is the perfect blend of comedy and action. Axel is extremely quick minded and has a lot of fun in executing his actions. He knows exactly what to say to get into whatever business he needs, and has fun doing so. He pushed Rosewood and Taggart to step out of their "by the rules" protocol in order to help them become better detectives. Axel was determined to solve the murder and nothing was going to stop him from doing so. I personally believe that everyone needs their own Axel Foley in their lives. Rating 4 1/2 out of 5 stars

The Outsiders



In a small town, there are two opposing groups... the Socials (from the wealthy side) and the Greasers (the poor, hardworking people). Greasers Johnny (Ralph Macchio) and Ponyboy (C. Thomas Howell) get into an altercation with the Socials, and one of them gets killed. After seeking advice from Dallas (Matt Dillon), they flee to a nearby town and seek shelter in an abandoned barn. While getting a visit from Dallas, Johnny and Ponyboy see a fire and rescue children from the collapsing structure. The boys are rewarded as heroes, but suffer major injuries. This shifts the power in the town and the Greasers are more determined to win against the Socials in a fight in the town's park.

I admit that when I bought this movie, I had not really heard much about it. The appeal to me was all the celebrities involved in the film (including Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, and Patrick Swayze). Now that I've seen it, I understand why so many wanted to get involved. It's one of the more modern classic novels that was pushed to be made into a motion picture. There are so many life lessons that you can learn by watching this film. I really wish that at some point in junior high or high school this novel or movie would have been put in the curriculum. It is one of those movies that anyone that's coming of age needs to see. It is a beautiful film and I am glad I made the small investment in purchasing this movie. Rating 5 out of 5 stars

Beverly Hills Cop II



Two years after his initial trip, Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) finds himself back in Beverly Hills investigating the almost fatal shooting of Captain Bogamil (Ronny Cox), which is among a series of activity dubbed the "Alphabet Crimes." He teams back up with Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and Taggart (John Ashton), who have been temporarily demoted to traffic duty by Chief Lutz (Allen Garfield). Once again, the trio find themselves in the middle of risking their lives in honor of the ailing Captain.

Oh, how two years can change things. Axel and Bogamil are friends, which makes the shooting as personal as when Axel's friend was murdered in the last film. Rosewood and Taggart have utilized what they learned from Axel. Add to that the Alphabet Crimes and you have a very exciting (and in some cases, better) follow up to the original. Everything I loved from the first film transferred over and there was enough new characters and scenarios to make it just as enjoyable. Did anyone else get as much enjoyment as I did when realizing that Chris Rock was the parking attendant at the Playboy mansion? Totally awesome! Rating 4 1/2 out of 5 stars


See you guys next week.... I have some great movies to review for you, which includes a couple films currently in theaters!!!

2 comments:

  1. I told you that you needed to watch Rain Man back when we first started talking. Glad to see now you see why. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Added bonus... I've owned it for several months so I can watch it whenever I want :-)

    ReplyDelete