Tuesday, June 28, 2011

28. A Song From a Musical With a Character So Bad/Evil That You Love to Hate

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street "Epiphany"



Okay, I don't hate Benjamin Barker (aka. Sweeney Todd). I actually understand his intentions for seeking vengeance on those that tore his marriage apart and landed himself in jail for over a decade. All that time sitting in confinement would boil a lot of anger in myself too, especially knowing that I was set up by the town's judge. However, the difference between Sweeney Todd and myself is that I would not resort to murder to feel justified.

What I love about Sweeney Todd is how viciously gory it is. You don't normally see that in musicals. To have the protagonist as this hateful, impatient person is appealing. You hope that there is still some good in him somewhere, which starts to show when he finds out that his daughter is alive and living with the judge that changed his life forever. This musical made me look at shaving tools differently...

No comments:

Post a Comment