Monday, June 20, 2011

Movie Monday: Desperate Times Call for Shakespearean Sequels

Happy Monday everyone! It is the last day of spring, but for my fellow Kansas Citians, it has felt like summer for at least a couple weeks. Either it's unbearable humidity levels or severe storms that are keeping us indoors. As for me, I haven't done a lot of movie watching (between dating someone new and reading the Hunger Games series). I did, however, come across a 99 cent clearance rack at my local Blockbuster and purchased several movies (you know you would have too with that good of a deal!). So, lets review one of those purchases today!


Hamlet 2



Dana Marschz (Steve Coogan) is a failed actor turned drama teacher that has been struggling to make an impact on the student body and community in Tucson, Arizona. As more school programs are cut, he gains many new students who have nowhere else to go. When Dana realizes that the drama program is next on the cutting block, he decides to pull out and finish a manuscript... a musical sequel to William Shakespeare's Hamlet. As the students are getting involved in their new production, the community and the school rally to shut down the musical, which has turned out to be highly controversial.

I had some high hopes for this film, since I was a theater student myself. I was happy that it exceeded my expectations. I loved the failed commercials that Dana filmed that was at the beginning of the film. It helped show that he was passionate about acting, even if he wasn't good at it. The rest of the exposition of the film was slow starting, but if anyone was able to continue watching the film... it got a lot better. The best part, in my opinion, was when the play actually started. The numbers were so politically incorrect but awesome at the same time. After watching the film, I had "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" stuck in my head until I went to bed. I recommend this film to anyone that appreciates theater arts and wants a non-slapstick kind of comedy. Rating 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment