Los Angeles. Heroin overdose. "In the fifth, your ass goes down." Big Kahuna Burger. The Wolf. Chopper. Jack Rabbit Slims. Bad Mother Fucker Wallet. The Bonnie Situation. Royale With Cheese. The Music. Honey Bunny. Ezekiel 25:17.
Have you figured it out yet???
#1- Pulp Fiction
I remember having a conversation with my mom one day about Pulp Fiction. She said that I would really like it but also warned me about something... that I would catch myself laughing at inappropriate things. So on one spring evening in 2003, I turned on my surround sound, plopped onto my bed, and started the movie. By the time opening scene ended, I knew I was in for a very enjoyable experience.
A group of individuals with connections to Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) intertwine with one another in four separate stories. Jules (Samuel L. Jackson) and Vincent (John Travolta), who are hit men for Marsellus, are on assignment to retrieve a briefcase for their boss. After an unexpected incident, they have to rely on The Wolf (Harvey Keitel) to solve the problem. Then Vincent has to take Marrsellus' wife, Mia (Uma Thurman), on a "date" while he is out of town, which was successful until Mia discovers a little baggie inside Vincent's coat pocket. Later, a boxer named Butch (Bruce Willis) makes an arrangement with Marsellus but goes against it. He finds himself attempting to escape the Los Angeles area before he might be killed.
I could go on and on about this movie, but I wont. Instead, I will list my five favorite scenes.
5. The Bonnie Situation: When Marvin got shot, I couldn't stop myself from laughing. Yes, that disturbed me but it was funny on how Vincent accidentally killed the guy. So Jules and Vincent have to employ The Wolf to solve their problem. The Wolf gets in, delegates, and gets out in under an hour. Now that's someone who should be programmed in your cell phone!
4. Pumpkin and Honey Bunny strategizing the robbery: Ah, the very first scene of the movie. The way that Pumpkin convinces his girlfriend to rob the restaurant just pumped up their adrenaline, and you could sense that. When they actually stand up and do it, I remember exclaiming something like "Oh shit!" before the opening credits began. Now that's a way to start a movie!
3. Mia's drug overdose: Mistaking heroin for cocaine... wow. When Vincent discovers Mia, he flees to his dealer's house to resuscitate her. Seeing the needle plunge into Mia's chest (filled with adrenaline) made me cringe and happy that it worked out.
2. Jules and Vincent inside Brad's apartment: Between the discussion about Big Kahuna Burger and Ezekiel 25:17, what's not to enjoy about this scene???
1. Mia and Vincent's date at Jack Rabbit Slims: When they walked into the restaurant, I was in awe. I wanted to go eat there myself (until I found out that it was a fictional place... dammit). I loved how authentic the restaurant felt, especially with how the employees were dressed and the themed menu. I really wanted to know what a $5 shake tasted like. Mia and Vincent had awesome conversation before they went to dance. Oh, and they both danced very well (obviously since they won a trophy).
So who wants to come over with some Royales with Cheese and watch this with me? Hehe...
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."