Tuesday, March 29, 2011

BC #28- Something That Stresses You Out

I don't mean to brag, but I haven't really had any stress in life for a few years now. I've had moments, but there is nothing in my life that continually stresses me out.

To be fair, a few days ago I had a collaboration of things happen that caused some stress to me....

Saturday, March 26th, 2011

I was woken up around 1:30 in the morning by my son. He had vomited the night before, when I was at work (my boss let me leave a little early so I could get home to take care of him). He needed to go to the bathroom and afterwards came into my room to sleep next to me. He drank some water and went back to sleep. Over the next few hours, he got sick a few more times.

We finally woke up for the day between 10:30 and 11am. I was tired and he was tired. We spent the remainder of the morning and most of the afternoon laying/sitting in my bed while watching tv and movies (and, for me, browsing the internet and doing a little blogging). I had planned for us to go to an event in the Crossroads District (downtown Kansas City) that day, so that was a little bit of a bummer.

He was finally able to hold down food and drink by mid-afternoon (yay!). I had been communicating with my Mom about kiddo's health and she said that her and Dad would be able to make it home for me to go to work (and be a little late). I had arranged for him to go to my aunt's, but that was going to save a trip and keep him at home to continue to feel better.

A little after 5:30 that night (the time that I normally go into work), I called my Mom to see how close she was to home. She was in Archie, MO. Ugh! That's at least 40 minutes away. So I impatiently wait for my parents to get home. When they pulled in just before 6:30, I rushed out the door to get work.

Work called me when I was driving. My boss knew I would be late, but I had forgotten to let the bartenders know I wouldn't be on time. Damn me for my miscommunication!!! As soon as I walk into work, I clock in and apologized to Robyn (bartender/manager of the night). She was grateful to see me and we had a pleasant conversation. I was then informed I was going to train the hostess with being an EXPO (my job aka. food runner).

Coming in an hour late, in the middle of a rush, didn't help with my stress levels. I felt off my game when working and trying to train in that time was adding to my momentary stress. The rush didn't last long, which turned into a slow night. So my coworkers and I bullshit and hope we might get busy again. It never happened. So some of us were already off the clock by 8:30 (including myself). Yep, that's two things that worked against my paycheck (oh well).

I try to make the best out of the rest of my night by enjoying dinner at the bar. I ordered a chicken tender bowl, which was absolutely delicious. Then I noticed there was a pre-season baseball game between the Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins. As a Red Sox fan, I was enjoying the 8-1 lead against the Twins. That is, until the 9th inning. The Twins ended up winning 9-8. I just shook my head in disbelief.

I went home afterwards, got my kiddo to bed and started to get ready for Planet Comicon, which was something my son and I were going to to the next day. I went to bed on a happier, non stressful mood.

Now, I'm not someone to get easily stressed, but this was just one of those days. I recovered from it quickly. Being an eternal optimist does have its benefits :-)

1 comment:

  1. Stress can always creep in especially where little ones are involved. Not saying its their fault at all. I just imagine that raising one would be quite stressful at times.