Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Music Tuesday: Music Videos Galore!

I would like to apologize for not having a music blog last week. I was starting to write it when the latest Britney Spears video triggered me to write a blog for The Pitch. Now that I have taken care of that blog, I can get down to business and present a lot of new music videos I have watched the past week.

Greyson Chance "Waiting Outside the Lines"



Hey! It's the kid that was featured on Ellen Degeneres' show for performing Lady Gaga's Paparazzi on the piano! I am happy to see that his talents have given him a career in the music industry. I really enjoy this song and video and hope to see more of him in the future.

Yellowcard "For You and Your Denial"



The first thing I noticed about this song? The combination of alternative rock music and the violin (or is it the viola?) blended well together. It's a very good song and a good video. I need to listen to more Yellowcard.

Britney Spears "Hold It Against Me"



Before this video made its debut, I had a feeling it would be over hyped. I was right. There is too much going on and some of it doesn't make sense. I do not get the double Britney/ fight scene. I don't see the point in it. And the image of red lips... what is she trying to do, pay her own homage to The Rocky Horror Picture Show? I think this video could have been a lot better than how it ended up.

Panic! At the Disco "The Ballad of Mona Lisa"



As someone who discovered the song "Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Their Clothes Off" a few months ago (yeah, I know... a few years late), I was excited when I saw this video on the Mtv Hits channel. I like how it has that western/speakeasy kind of feel to the video, with a little bit of Zombieland (with the rules) and Wild Wild West (with the industrial type inventions scattered throughout the house). I'm curious to see what the rest of the new album will be like.


Ke$ha "Blow"



Ke$ha just introduced a new level of weird, even for her. The whole mythological unicorn thing came off as very odd to me (like making The Neverending Story look completely sane). Then, out comes James van der Beek. Whoa... he's in her video. Then I notice she's making out with a unicorn. Classy touch promoting bestiality *gag* Then there's the name calling war between James and Ke$ha, which I thought was pretty hilarious. The "monster" reference makes me curious if that was Ke$ha's way of poking fun of Lady Gaga... as Gaga calls her fans "little monsters." Yes, this video even ended strangely, with James' head mounted on the wall.

Dr. Dre feat. Eminem and Skylar Gray "I Need a Doctor"



Dr. Dre has returned... and has a few things to say. The lyrics are very powerful, between Emimen pleading for Dre to come back as his mentor, the beautiful voice of Skylar Gray, and Dre's calling out of the people he used to work with that have basically abandoned him the past 10 years. I loved seeing the highlights of Dre's life since 2001 (especially his marriage and family time) and how the video portrays a prolonged absence due to an accident that left Dre in a coma. The video is simple and beautiful and the lyrics are the reason why there is a story to tell in the first place.

Lady Gaga "Born this Way"



I had hoped that this video was going to possibly be on the simple side, given the message of the song. How stupid of me to have that momentary lapse in judgement when it comes to Lady Gaga's videos. I would have been happy without the 2 1/2 minute intro leading up to the song, even though it was definitely stimulating. It took me a few viewings of this video to go from "What the hell did I just watch?" to "Okay, now I understand and it's pretty cool." I loved how Gaga used the theme to Vertigo in her intro (which the theme always creeped me out/mesmerized me). I also really like the skeletal makeup on her face... it was very well done. Overall, I pretty much enjoyed the video but the cynical side of me **KNOWS** it will be parodied to death!

Yeah, I think seven videos are enough for this week. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment