Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 11- Something People Seem to Compliment You the Most On

For anyone that's ever met me, they will immediately realize my happy, optimistic personality. I was nicknamed "Sunshine" by a few friends in junior high because of it. I am proud to have that nickname, so much that when it was time to order Senior Girl's jerseys, I didn't hesitate to put "Sunshine" on the back of mine. A lot of people love that about me, but there is something else that I get complimented on more... that I am extremely kind-hearted.



I don't know if it's how I was raised, but I'm one of those people that will always treat people with kindness, even if I shouldn't. My best friend Brandon has pointed out that he "envies" my "giant heart sometimes." He's also said that he doesn't understand how I don't hold grudges. I just don't. I would rather not spend countless hours ranting over someone or something that someone did to deceive me. I like to see people for the good in them, even if they are not known for that... one reason why I fought to make my marriage work for so long.

Some people do try to take advantage of the fact that I am kind-hearted, which may seem like that's a flaw that I have. But I don't see it that way. I am smart enough to know when people are using me.. and then they don't get away with it anymore. For example, I will offer someone at work to get a drink for them. Then, if they assume they I will do that for them every time, without asking, then I stop. Yea, that's just a small example, but when things like that happen more than I'd like them to, it gets to be a burden.

My kind-heartedness has been acknowledged in my professional life, which surprised me. When I was working at Home Depot, I was having my first annual review. My boss gave me extremely high remarks for "respecting people of all races and backgrounds." When I discussed that with her, I remembered asking "Well, isn't that pretty normal for people to do that?" She replied that it wasn't (and I knew she was telling the truth... she is gay and has had to deal with some very critical people, which to me make me sad for humanity in general). That just blew my mind... just for the simple fact that I am considered a rarity when it comes to acting kind to others.

I'll never stop being a kind-hearted person. It keeps me in a consistently good mood, I don't dwell on little dramas in life, and when it comes down to highly stressful situations, I can handle them better than others. More people need to embrace this... all it does it benefit yourself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment