Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 18- Your Views on Gay Marriage

"Marriage is a social union or legal contract between people that creates kinship. It is an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually intimate and sexual, are acknowledged in a variety of ways, depending on the culture or subculture in which it is found. Such a union, often formalized via a wedding ceremony, may also be called matrimony." -wikipedia.org

Marriage is a beautiful thing. It is also something that is regulated by the government. The government prevents bigamy and multiple marriages from legally happening. It keeps records in city and state offices. It also regulates individuals under 18 to gain permission from a parent or legal guardian before they are allowed to marry. But, they do not recognize gay marriage. I see that as a problem in our society.



I am 100% supportive of gay marriage. When it comes down to it, I don't see why gender has to be a factor when wanting to get married. It's not like the gay community is another species... we are all human beings and are capable of falling in love. It's like the government wants to pick and choose what the gay community can and cannot do. Can they adopt a child? Yes. Can they get same-sex benefits at many employers across the country? Yes. Can they marry? No.

I'm sorry, but that's fucked up.

This is a major reason why I have been following Proposition 8 in California, especially since the Supreme Court declared the ban on same sex marriages unconstitutional back in August. With the election results from a couple weeks ago, the California voters have elected (or re-elected) officials that are in support of Proposition 8 (even though most of the country voted Republican). I am glad to see that the people have continued to show their support with gay marriage.

A few weeks ago, one of my good friends posted a couple videos from http://www.funnyordie.com/ onto my facebook. I came across one called Prop 8: The Musical...



This was an extremely entertaining and smart video. I applaud Funny or Die for taking the time to create this, and I loved how many celebrities got involved. I hope that this helped many people realize that gay marriage isn't a bad thing. It's just a simple concept about love. I wish that more political issues could be expressed this way... more individuals my age would probably be more involved in politics then.

I'm going to keep an eye on Proposition 8 and how the Supreme Court will handle things in the coming weeks. Then I hope to see in future elections (hopefully as early as the next Presidential election) that more states will propose same-sex marriages. Oh, and that I will be able to attend a gay wedding someday soon!

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I love the video. What a great way to get the Republicans on board by boiling it down to being about money, LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm Facebook posting this! As a mostly Conservative voter I am actually in favor of gay marriage (gasp) and not just for the financial aspect. I believe it is the right thing to do. Constitution says equality for all and I think it's hypocritical of most Conservatives to preach that and then preach against gay marriage.... that's just my view though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you mostly. I'm in support of gay's being allowed to be together and have rights.
    Even if I don't agree with their lifestyle choices I don't think its fair for us to say they can't be together. But coming from a religious point of view the true definite marriage is a religious word, its a sacred word thats used in the bible. Part of the meaning is ordained by God. So, I don't think its fair to use that term when its not a religious union such as a gay partnership. I wish their was a way they could be "married" with all the same rights and weddings, but be called something else. But then I see most people saying thats discrimination. I just would like to see a way for them to have their rights and be together but also keep marriage sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey, I'm with ya on this one. And just a side-note on keeping marriage "sacred"....I don't see a lot of straight couples treating their marriages that way nowadays. There's all these marriages that last mere months, and so much adultry it's ridiculous. I wish there was a way to seperate the people who DO find marriage sacred from those who don't, and who would treat their partner the way a partner in marriage should be treated (with respect, loyalty, honesty, fidelity, etc). Then those that would hold marriage sacred would be allowed to marry, regardless of sexuality. I mean, aren't homosexuals entitled to all the joys and pains that can result from a marriage, just like the rest of us?! Lord knows there's a lot of 'em, from what I can tell!! lol. Just sayin... :)

    ReplyDelete