Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 15- Something or Someone You Couldn't Live Without, Because You've Tried Living Without It

We all go though many things in life, causing some sacrifices to get you through the days. I've been able to make some decisions in the past where I could live without things, mostly in the entertainment route or having the ability to make materialistic purchases. However, something that I gave up for a while made me realize how much I relied on it and needed once it was gone... a social life.

When I was 19, I was going to college and I had a part time job. I had plenty of time to gather with friends. Some of us would go to Orlando's to dance each weekend (since it was one of few bars where you could get in at 18). Other times, I would meet up with people at the drive-in, or any of the many restaurants around town. It was fun, carefree, and you never know where you would end up next. I absolutely loved those days and took in every moment.

I miss those days a lot.

I touched on my inactive social life a little bit on my Sacrifices blog. Spending more than half of your waking hours each week to take care of an ailing grandparent, then spending the rest of the week at home doing normal household activities really makes a social life non existent. I'm not saying that if I were able to go back in time and change that, I would. I actually would leave things as they were, since I was able to be there for my family.. through the good and stressful moments. Plus, when I was married to Brian, he would get out and socialize, leaving me at home with Truman, or I would be at work.

It can really mess with your head when you aren't able to spend time with friends. I'm surprised I was able to deal with it so well. Then again, there is this website called Facebook... lol. However, I do have a good ending to what I've noticed is a little bit of a sob story.

Four months ago, my social life came back... with a vengeance!!! It started with my first time going to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. After that.... meeting with the girls at several different bars/clubs in the city, going to the movies, bachelorette parties, my sister's wedding, bonfires, hanging out at friend's houses (watching movies, drinking beer, telling stories), and more!!! It feels awesome being able to spend time with my friends again, plus getting to know new ones better. It's amazing how much you really missed having the ability to get out and socialize when it's been close to nonexistent for a long time.

*Grabs social life..... doesn't want to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment