Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 17-A Book You've Read That Changed Your Views on Something

When I was in high school, I noticed some of my friends were getting really into this book series, even forming get togethers to discuss the awesomeness of these books. Then, I was at a guy friend's house, where he decided to pop in the movie based on the first book. I just rolled my eyes thinking this is just kid's stuff... I'm not going to get wrapped up in this trend.

So then I'm in my first semester of college, in awesome St. Louis. I'm noticing news stories where religious groups are burning the books because of their satanic beliefs. I have professors discussing the books in class, and raving about how excellent they are (and I was going to a Catholic-based university). Hmm... these books have sparked controversy and are becoming more and more popular. I thought that maybe I wrote off these books too soon and consider giving them a chance.

In early October 2002, I'm walking around Target and decide to buy the first two books. They were inexpensive and I thought that if I didn't like them, I could just return them. I head back to my dorm room, with some Halloween shaped mini frosted cookies, and start the first chapter. A few chapters later, I knew that this was the beginning of a wonderful journey (and returned to Target the next evening to buy the other two books that were published).



I had finally become a fan of the Harry Potter books.



It's funny how something I thought was ridiculous at 17 turned out to become my favorite book series of all time. Sometimes unexpected sources will make you rethink your views on something... and work wonders. I also learned how society, especially hardcore Christians, judged these books before they read them. There are no satanic beliefs, the characters celebrate Christmas and Easter! They aren't promoting witchcraft, they are just people who have wizarding talents in their DNA. I recalled at the end of my semester in St. Louis, discussing with my Great Aunt that the books are not bad. I recommended that they are ideal for older children, and individuals my age.

I am happy to say that I own all seven books (in hardback) and with the exception of the first film, have seen all the movies in theaters (most of them at the midnight showings). With that said, I am looking forward to this weekend, since part one of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be in theaters (actually, on my birthday). I'm going to try to go to the midnight showing, if there are any tickets left! If not, sometime during the day Friday. I can picture it now... and am really excited to see how well they do with the final book!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment