Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 9- Someone You Didn't Want to Let Go, But Just Drifted

When I was 12, I moved from Grandview to Lee's Summit. Even though the move was only 4.5 miles away, it was a big enough of a change for me to lose touch will all my friends from elementary school. Yes, a few of them also moved to Lee's Summit, which was exciting, but there's a few of them that I had wished I hadn't lost touch with. Facebook has helped me reconnect with essentially everyone, except for one person that I've been trying to find for over a year.

Greg DeVore and I first met in preschool; he and I were in the same class, with a few others that would go with us to Meadowmere Elementary. Around 4th grade, Greg and I really became good friends. We sat next to each other in class, we borrowed each others books, played together during recess, and hung out at each other's houses (which were only a couple streets away from each other). I remember the first time that Greg came over, I was nervous in that "I have a crush on you" kind of way (even though back then I wasn't 100% sure that's what I was feeling). We had a blast, and I remember walking with him down the street when he had to go home.

In 5th and 6th grade, Greg and I had different teachers so we didn't hang out as much. Then there was the fact that my parents decided to move out of Grandview. So, needless to say, we lost touch with each other.

When I was in high school, I found out that Greg's mom (who used to work with my mom for years) had left their family. I felt completely heartbroken. Not long after, I found his phone number and called him. We didn't talk much, since he had friends over, but I wished we would have kept in contact. He was one of those guys that if I didn't move out of Grandview, it would have been very likely that Greg would have been my first boyfriend.

I'm still going to look for him... and maybe someday I will track him down. I'd just like to know what he's been up to and catch up. So if anyone that reads this that has any connections to Greg... please share!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awww. I have this friend that I loved so much. He was one of the very first friends I made when my family moved to LS. I know he went through a rough patch but after my family and his moved out of Raintree Lake we lost touch (except for a random phone call one time). I miss him almost everyday. He was always completely honest with me and I was with him. Like brutally honest. I never had a crush on him and to my knowledge he never had a crush on me. He was like a brother to me more than anything. His mom left them too and his dad was a real jerk. We even took him in once and let him stay with us while a situation with his dad died down. I've searched facebook, myspace, googled him.. can't find anything. It makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete